Saturday, April 2, 2011

Synchronicity

Ok, so my friends that have been monitoring this site have told me they really like the content but why am I giving them a bunch of book reports as opposed to my own thoughts on spiritual leadership. I guess my answer would be that I have been hiding behind books almost feeling not worthy of putting my own thoughts out there. I mean I don’t have the Doctor in front of my name yet, so at this point in time it is much easier to hide behind those giants out there and continue to be the diligent student. Well every student must take that step and put themselves out there at some point. So here I go…..
The topic of today will be synchronicity. This is a term coined by Carl Jung in the 1920’s that basically means meaningful coincidence. In other words if two seemingly unrelated events present themselves to you within a relatively short period of time, it may be more than coincidence. In fact, you might want to pay attention to it. To me this is when a door or even window opens that you may have thought was closed. This doorway is now open and it is saying “pay attention to me.”
This can be experienced professionally when someone once considered an obstacle to leadership goals of your school or district all of the sudden requires your assistance or their goals change to become more aligned with your vision. Maybe you waited to purchase a technology for your school and for some reason all negotiations seemed excruciatingly slow to the point where you put it on the back burner then when all seems lost a newer, less expensive technology becomes available.  Perhaps you experienced this is your personal life where a door opens.
So what do you do? There are many people that say these are just coincidences so stop looking for meaning where there is none. Other s, like Louis Pasteur say, “Chance favors the prepared mind.” So which is it? ? Thoughts……..

1 comment:

  1. We can take risks and open that door if we are not reckless in the approach. As leaders, we must be open to change and the challenges it brings to us. As Fullan mentions in Leading in a Culture of Change, "We are living in chaotic conditions. Thus leaders must be able to operate under complex, uncertain circumstances. This proverbial door you speak of can be the very thing that facilitates our ability to challenge difficult circumstances.

    ReplyDelete