Friday, March 11, 2011

Welcome to Educational Spiritual Leadership

I am begining a journey of looking inward and outward with this blog. I hope to use it to grow as an educational leader and also to connect with other like minded individuals. I am hoping to share books and links to sites that will inspire.
Lets begin the journey with my definition of spiritual leadership which by the way is likely to evolve over this process. Spiritual Leadership is a very personal yet public type of leadership. What I mean by this is that in being a spiritual leader, one must lead with their real self; their inner beliefs that are held close and sacred.  One must be open to sharing their visions, their true being, ultimately walking the walk of leadership in leading by example.  Spiritual leadership means that one leads with a higher purpose in mind. We lead not just so others can follow, but because we know that together we can achieve more for the greater good, than by each of us following a different path with more self-serving goals. Spiritual leadership follows the mantra that we want to leave the world a better place than the way we found it.
One book that has influenced my thinking in terms of spiritual leadership is A Hidden Wholeness, by Parker Palmer. In this book Palmer speaks of what happens when what we are doing in our professional lives do not gel with our inner core. I experienced this uneasiness just this past year when working for a school system. I was asked to do things that did not match my ethics. I became very depressed, distraught, and disillusioned about the educational field. Palmer calls this living a divided life. A normal response one might have to this is to go inward and meditate, but according to Palmer this is not the answer. We must create “Circles of Trust” where we learn the powerful lessons of trust and acceptance so that we can reunite “our soul with our role.”  From this book alone, I take that when I hear or feel that uneasiness, I ask myself if I am aligned to my inner beliefs as described in the definition above of spiritual leadership. If I am not aligned, I go to a mentor a mutual circle of trust. Through this process this year I was able to let go of a job that paid very well but consumed my soul. I now have a better position for my soul and though the monetary pay is not as high, my synergy, my soul and role are reunited and I can truly say “all is well with my soul.”
Please feel free to share your thoughts......
A Hidden Wholeness (Paperback)

3 comments:

  1. It is so true that in order for you to maximize your happiness and your petential, your professional life must gel with your inner core. I left a job with a major corporation working with the spce program because my life had a higher purpose. I can truly say that I made the right decision for me. I have been able to travel throught this country as a professional speaker and author helping people and organization maximize their potentail. I have written books and produced audio products. I am truly blessed to touch the lives of others in a positive way.

    Mike Howard
    Speaker and Author
    www.SuccessBeginsWithin.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Mike it is so true that your soul and role must gel. I would not have believed it had I not gone through that dissonance myself.

    ReplyDelete
  3. First of all, thank you Tammy for teaching me about the importance of spiritual leadership. This past summer you inspired me to think of leadership from a different perspective. Spiritual leadership is quite contagious!

    I agree that it is important to have a mutual circle of trust that you can count on. It allows us to let our guard down and ask for honest advice about ourselves. In order to be
    effective spiritual leaders, we must be comfortable with our inner self.

    ReplyDelete